Reimagining Longevity Ideathon Pitches, Awards Ceremony and Reception
Venture Cafe’s District Hall – 75 Northern Ave., Seaport District Boston
– 5 – 5:30 PM – Team check-ins & attendee registration
– 5:30 – 6 PM – Keynote presentation – Mikio Okumura, Director & Managing Executive Officer, SOMPO Nursing Care & Healthcare
– 6 – 7:30 PM- Team pitches w/ Q&A time
– 7:30 – 8:00 PM- Reception and judges pick the winners
– 8 – 8:15 PM Awards announcement
– 8:15 Reception continues
Caring for our seniors is a growing concern for governments and economies worldwide as people live longer lives.
Longevity – along with its many blessings – can be fraught with medical, financial, psychological and social burdens that are as complex for aging individuals as for the people who love and care for them.
Yet, we believe, the longevity crisis is also a crucible from which the most creative innovations in elder care can emerge.
Entrepreneurs and innovators have a staggering opportunity to make an outsized impact for 50+ million consumers in an $8 trillion dollar senior care market in the U.S. and Japan combined.
SOMPO, one of the largest insurers and assisted living facility operators in Japan, sees first-hand the widening gap where demand for quality, dignified care at a reasonable cost far outpaces the supply. They’ve been working with innovators in Japan to deploy new technology-enabled solutions, and compassionate business models, to transform elder care.
From September 9 thru 12, we’re convening entrepreneurs, business executives, academics and thought leaders in a global “ideathon” with the Venture Cafe to spark collaboration, far out ideas and new insights on how to care for people with the debilitating illness.
Your help is critical: seven million people in Japan, or twenty percent of 65+ year olds, are expected to suffer from dementia within the next 10 years. The number of people worldwide living with dementia is currently estimated at 47 million, and is projected to increase to 75 million by 2030.
We want to encourage you to look at dementia from all angles, including preventive care, home care, remote care, accessibility, financial management, and long term care in healthcare facilities.
Bring your team, or join one at the event, and work on your boldest ideas for scalable technology-enabled solutions:
- How might we detect signs of dementia early and prevent rapid degeneration?
- How might we ease the burden of care on home caregivers?
- How might we increase social engagement among the elderly?
- How will people be able to afford the care they need for a long healthy life?
- How can we improve the built environment, remote services, and monitoring to ensure elders can age with grace?
We’re seeking thoughtful businesses and prototypes designed with elders at the center; and meaningful plans to accelerate the solutions from incubators into living rooms, board rooms, health care facilities, and public spaces.
The timeline for our Ideathon is as follows:
- Tuesday July 20 – SOMPO announces Ideathon at Venture Cafe
- Saturday & Sunday Sept. 9-10 – Ideathon kicks-off at Venture Cafe at CIC Cambridge
- Monday Sept. 11 – SOMPO and Venture Cafe announce ten finalists to present at the final on Sept. 12th
- Tuesday Sept. 12 – Finalists present & winners announced at Venture Cafe’s District Hall event
And we’ll offer cash awards to the winners:
- Grand Prize $10,000
- Runner Up $5,000
- Third Place $2,500
In addition, SOMPO will work with the winner on a Proof of Concept in Japan (including airfare and accommodations for two people for a week). We’re eager to share what we experience daily on the frontlines of our 300 care facilities in Japan.
The ten Ideathon company finalists will also receive up to two seats to work out of a new Global Aging Innovation Hub co-working location at CIC for twelve months.